Thursday, June 11, 2009

Packing is the pits! Unpacking is even worse.

After a long day the last thing I want to do is go through boxes and boxes of crap, especially my crap. Crap that for one reason or another I have convinced myself I need to hold on to. I have no problem getting rid of clothes. I am not one of these people that think I’ll ever fit into jeans again that are a size smaller than I am now. When I’m packing, I get rid of a lot and feel good about giving my trash to those less fortunate to have crap.

I would go all Buddha and get rid of all of my material possessions, but then I think about the money. I haven’t used this stapler for two years, but one day I’ll need it and I won’t want to buy another. The bottom drawers of this dresser have fallen off, but I paid good money for it; I’ll fix it. On the other hand, I maintain a bomb shelters supply of toilet paper, tampons, and paper towels. It’s not like I will never use them.

The part I hate the most about unpacking is finding a home for everything. I always need to spend more money! I need a shelf in the bathroom for my crap. I can’t live without some place to put my baby powder or foot spray that I haven’t used since I bought them. I guess I’ll just put them in this bathroom caddy and place them in this closet and forget about them because I don’t see them everyday and when I need baby powder because my butt cheeks rubbed together more than usual, then I will just go out and buy some more. If I had a shelf in my bathroom, none of this would happen. Maybe not the butt cheeks rubbing together part, but more money wasted.

Packing and unpacking reminds me of how much I waste and spend. Packing is the pits!

1 comment:

sjct said...

But... Butt... Won't you remember the bath powder in the closet when you need it?

As someone who has moved SEVEN times in the last TEN years, I feel for you. I still have a couple of boxes of crap I haven't figured out where to put since our latest move six months ago. I'm a little afraid that if I do find a place for all of it that will signal the universe that it's time to move me again.

But, yeah, I'm tempting fate and bought some little shelves a few days ago. However, I haven't put them up yet... I just put them on top of the pile of crap.